"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"
I'm ready to make MY new ending!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mexican Surgery.....Part 2

So....Yikes....after researching and researching and researching some more.   I completely changed my planned surgery....

Instead of having aVGS, where they cut out your stomach, I am having a "new" procedure called Vertical Gastric Plication.  I thought about this for a long time...so here's the low down....

Basically, it is the same procedure as the "sleeve", but they fold 80% of my stomach onto itself to form a sleeve without cutting.  Instead they suture it up.

It's fairly new so the downside is that there isn't a huge history, the upside is that it has shown to have same results in terms of weight loss as gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.

Here are the study results:
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/lap.2006.0128?journalCode=lap

I am now having surgery on July 15th, with Dr. Corvala at Angeles Hospital in Tijuana.

http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/gastric-sleeve-plication.aspx

This Dr. is one of the first few to offer, and he is a proctor of bariatric surgery.  I am now confident in my decision....and ready to go!

No comments: