"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"
I'm ready to make MY new ending!

Friday, July 02, 2010

Surgery in Mexico? Really?

So......after not wanting to wait another 2 months to start the process, I started researching ALL my surgical options.

I discovered the ObesityHelp.com (OH) website, I was on a Mission. I went to the VSG forum, and started reading people's stories. I started falling across Dr. Alberto Aceves's name numerous times. All of his reviews were positive, and I just really felt compelled to find out more.

I found a blogger that talked about her experience with surgery, but better yet, how to research a Mexican Surgeon. I discovered that Dr. Aceves was one of the best if not the best in Mexico, he is President of the College of Bariatric Sugeons of Mexico, so I started getting some sense of comfort.

A Friday night (honestly I'd had a few drinks so I was brave) I sent Dr. Aceves a "need more info" email. The next morning Saturday, I had a call from Nina (the patient coordinator), I called her back, got comfortable with her on the phone, she gave me all the details I wanted (cost, recovery, post-op care, pre-op tests, etc)...and that was it.

I SCHEDULED SURGERY FOR JULY 14, 20010! YIKES!

I had to go to my PCP, to get some lab results, and told him I had jumped on his suggestion, and that I was scheduled to go on July 14th. I also told him I was going to Mexico (I was so prepared with all of Dr. A's info and qualifications); he gave me a hug and was so excited for me. He thinks it's the best thing I could give myself. He upped my Antidepressant so that I can start loading before surgery and for post op (he knows it'll be hard dealing with the "loss" of food as my frenemy); he thinks that I can go back to a lower dose, to maybe even going without once I lose some weight. He made me promise to come see him 1 month post op so he could supervise, since my surgeon is in Mexico......Yay!

So here I go....it is now less than 2 weeks away and I am nervous, anxious, a little scared.....but I am going to do it and I am going to kick bootie!

No comments: