"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"
I'm ready to make MY new ending!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Surgery.....I made it!

So they took me down to the OR at about 12:00 noon, as they were rolling me down the hall and into the elevator, I started getting super anxious....and emotional, and all crying, scared, etc.....the nurses were awesome, they kept telling me what a hottie I was going to be, that I was brave, they even started singing and dancing, until they got me to crack a smile.....

I got down to the pre-op room, and the anesthesiologist came by to see me, when the nurses told him I was a little nervous, he immediately gave me a tranquilizer shot, and I started feeling a little more relaxed....

They rolled me into the the OR, and there I went...the room was super clean, people were moving around, as soon as I got in, the anesthesiologist, hit the stereo...for a second I thought I was on the set of "scrubs"....the nurses and the Dr's were singing and dancing, as they coordinated me moving from one stretcher to the operating table....

The anesthesiologist was holding an oxygen mask over my nose and mouth, gave the nurse instructions to put something in my IV, and then I was out....the next thing I remember is them waking me up in post-op and me telling them to leave me alone, that I was too tired to wake up.....they all smiled and left me alone...(well not really alone, but with oxygen and laying down and resting.......I must have dosed off and on, and in a little bit, they were wheeling me back to my room......

I was sort of out of it.  The surgery lasted longer than I thought.  I was under "the knife" for a little over 2 hours, and then 2 and a half hours in post op.....

In my room by 5:30.....

That afternoon I was ok, I got help getting up and walking and going to the bathroom.....but that night....

HOLY MOLY....talk about my own private hell...!!!!!

It's not like I was sore or hurting, I felt like I had the worlds worst indigestion.....I kept trying to walk, burp, go to the bathroom, and nothing.....

The nurses came in like clockwork to administer antacid, and pain killers via my IV.  At about 11 at night, they gave me another dose of pain killers, they gave me an ativan sleeping pill sublingual, and then a shot in my arm for pain.....that was it...I was out...I was asleep, I woke up again around 4 in the morning, they gave me more pain medication, went to the bathroom, and went back to sleep.

At 7 am Friday morning I woke up feeling a million times better....I started walking on my own, I started moving around and getting the "air" out.......I was taken downstairs for a barium test, where I had to swallow some nasty tasting liquid, and the Dr.'s watched it through the X-ray machine as it made it's way down....they later showed me, it was kind of neat to see it....pretty cool.....

At about 3 they let me take a shower (or made me take a shower)....with no help, they basically disconnected my IV for a little bit, gave me towels and a new robe and voila....I took a shower and felt a gazillion times better!!!!  Born again!  Our bodies are amazing things.....

By that evening I had made friends with the security guard and a woman whose daughter was having surgery (the same kind I did) at that time.  It made her feel better that 24 hours after surgery I was up and about the hospital....

The doctors came by 3 times a day, so did the nutritionist and psychologist.  I had awesome care, with very caring nurses.

I felt so much better.......yay!

No comments: